Saturday 2 February 2019

Bay Windows As Reading Nooks


Growing up, I liked to read a lot of books and generally keep to myself quietly while at home and relaxing. For the most part, I was stark opposite to my younger brother. He would play sports video games with friends, hoot and holler at sporting events on TV, hang out with people all the time, and just always go go go. Me, though . . . well, I was reserved, laid back, and didn’t speak to people too often.


Now, that’s a time long gone as I’m the more outgoing and loud sibling of the two. But nonetheless, I used to love my quiet time at home growing up. I would read in little corners of the house and not talk to anyone for hours on end.

One of my favorite spots in the entire house was our bay window.

Bay windows are, for the most part, not too common in most houses for whatever reason. Obviously they’re tougher to install than simpler windows considering they jut out from the house itself and need support from beneath.

But man, when a house has a bay window, a quiet and book-loving child feels like they’re in heaven. And that’s all the time that they feel like that.


If you’re on the edge of choosing whether to install a bay window or not, I can guarantee that the answer is almost always yes. The only reason I really see someone not biting the bullet and getting one is because they may be compromising some structural integrity to their home.

Otherwise, the cost is absolutely worth it. And a bay window never, ever looks bad on a home. As for getting use out of it? Well, even if you don’t have kids and never plan on having kids, your cat or dog will love it. At the very least, you’ll end up loving it just for decorating and looking out of.


Having a bay window installed, or even doing it on your own, isn’t as daunting as you may regard the entire process as. Nor does it cost as much as you may worry about. All you have to remember is that you want it and it’s worth it. It changes up the way your home looks so drastically from within while not really making it look too different from the outside. Ultimately, it opens up whatever room you put it in and also allows for more decorating space and even places to hang out.

One of my fantasies that I’ll go ahead and share here is to have bookshelves lining the walls just inside the bay window. So, whether you put those bookshelves beneath the window as a sort of cubby space or create ceiling high shelves for your expansive library, you’re dedicating the space to a genuine reading nook that will leave friends and family green with envy.

No comments:

Post a Comment